Saturday, December 14, 2013

Money

I’m not poor.                            And I’m not rich.

I was walking through the mall two weeks ago and I overheard two ladies say “it’s so easy to spend 1000 dollars Christmas shopping.”
I wanted to look at them and say “I didn’t know that was an option.”
This is the first year I will not be buying presents. With two cats a one bedroom apartment I pay for on my own with a wage a little more than minimum and a scope of an idea of what my power bill is going to be like the next couple months, I couldn’t do it. Some of us are going to dinner or going for adventures and I made the rest of the gifts... sadly I’m not the crafty, but I do write.
I’ve just had to change the way I look at money and the world. I judged it as a success and a necessity to buy gifts for people at Christmas and for myself all year long. And today I had a thought. I’m rich in the heart and if I can’t afford a whole bunch of little things along the way that’s ok. I walk into friends houses and they don’t have stuff all over the place like I do (I like my stuff)

It’s making me think about consumerism about how much we spend on dinners out and on friends and that we give away and on toys for children and toys for ourselves. There was a lot of money being spent in the past and I don’t know where it all went. I’m not going to be rich tomorrow and buy whatever I want, so I have to learn to live within my means. This knowledge grounds me and scares me at the same time.http://youtu.be/iwDDswGsJ60

No comments:

Post a Comment