Wednesday, January 2, 2013

bunnies pulling a sleigh


 
 
A lot of families have things that bind them together, trips, genealogy, projects, art. We have books, and we know help on a special pedestal is “The Hobbit.”

 Now we don’t look to the hobbit for guidance, no we have never sat down at the kitchen table and discussed its literary greatness, but it’s always been there. And both Sister Duncan and I learned about it in school when Papa Duncan read it to our grade five classes. When a friend needs a book for a journey, or a adventure for a child, The Hobbit (or cry the beloved country) are the first ones I mention. True story.

So after the hype and love of Lord of the Rings, I couldn’t wait for The Hobbit to come out on Video. I have a huge crush on Martin Freeman and know Peter Jackson could do no wrong.

This is what I was expecting

Then Papa Duncan went to see the movie dressed as Gandalf at a special showing.

Then over the holidays, with a gift certificate I got at work, I went to see The Hobbit.

First of all I went by myself, which is supposed to be a great show of strength and independence. I used to love it in the city but not so much in B’town. I sat with three chairs on one side of me and two on the other, and with plenty more to choose from a family of five decided they wanted to sit there. “Well there are five of us,” she said. So I moved over with a couple beside me and them on the other, there was no longer an “I want to be here by myself buffer.”

I was surrounded by a stoic audience. Martin Freeman, who after a few years on what’s that show? (the office)knows how to be funny. But he was one brand of funny and then there was the dry humor of the rest of the movie, I wasn’t expecting the two entities to oppose each other, so I didn’t enjoy the Martin Freeman show vs the rest the movie, and it made it even worse that my audience didn’t respond to either of them.

And then there were bunnies pulling a sleigh.

The music seemed to be the same, recycled from Lord of the Rings, and in places didn’t fit. There were scenes when castles and buildings moved too fast to see. And then there were bunnies pulling a sleigh.

I made it to the Elves and felt like I was sitting in the theatre being uninspired, when I could be sitting at home and I could have a nap. So I stepped over the family of five who had taken my seat and I believe I stomped on someone’s bag of popcorn.

Nope, I didn’t stay for Gollum.
 

On the plus side I know what to expect, so I’ll download it when it comes out, drink a beer and see if I get it the second time through. A Duncan doesn’t give up on a Hobbit that quickly. But that and my recent enjoyment watching movies in my own home has greatly shaped my anticipation of Les Mis. I no longer want to see Les Mis in the theatre.

So if you excuse me I have to check out my copy of The Hobbit and see if Tolkien does in fact use the term “Dwarf Scum.”

No comments:

Post a Comment