Monday, November 5, 2012

Gerard Manley Hopkins


There’s more here in my new apartment; more happening. I pulled out one of my poetry books this weekend and started with Gerard Manley Hopkins. He was the first person in the book. I looked him up on Wikipedia and then googled each one of his poems that I read. It was a first class poetry and writing lesson. From themes and images and rhythm and meter, I learned. I am in the process of creating a poem like I haven’t created in years, I was hoping to post it last night, but unlike the poems that I just post after I brainstorm this one is evolving and growing there’s a story a setting tension and images that need to build and then when I get all that done there’s alliteration to worry about and to make sure the meter doesn’t make it sound hokey. It could take a while.

2 comments: