Monday, October 1, 2012

I Wanna Be


Last night I did something I’ve wanted to do since 1990. I found myself my own copy of Jim Henson’s "Story Teller." And I started watching it. I could have watched the whole season one in one sitting, but I was also so inspired that I sat down and edited some of the folk tale I’m rewriting and went over it a few times out loud which I try to do every night but haven't known how to start.  It’s a hard thing to do in my house sit down and tell a story to the wall, but I did it.

John Hurt is the ultimate story teller. I wasn’t conscious of it, but I wanted to be John Hurt when I was 14. Such power in the voice such expression. When I took acting classes our first monologue we were told not to do accents. I did any way. We were told not to do plays outside of acting class, I did anyway. What a different experience if we were told go ahead do accents for a moment be John Hurt and find your own voice within that, find out what you can do, push it to the limits. Who knew that in my 30’s I would be a story teller too? I would allowed to be John Hurt.

Right  now, when I tell, I have so many words in my head, I end up just reciting the story, just trying to get all the words out, but how much fun will I have if I get to sit in my living room and get to do voices and tell the story like a real story teller. And then share it with the crowd. I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment