Sunday, July 29, 2012

Letter From the Butterfly

Picture is "Butterfly Wings" by Pamella Marie Moorhead

And then one day my eyes closed and I went to sleep. I slept for a long time. I was wrapped up so tight in blankets, I couldn't see, couldn’t move. I was frightened to be that tired; that I needed that much to be in a cocoon and sleep so long. I felt like I could no longer take a life of crawling around on the ground, mushing through mud in a rainstorm and taking hours to crawl up the side of the tree to eat a simple leaf of the lilac tree.

And then one day my eyes opened; even with them open it was dark. I was wrapped up tight and had to fight to get out. When I did get out everything looked the same on the outside, but I was different somehow.

And then I began to fly. I flew over all the mud and trees I used to crawl over and I was fast, and I was light, and I fluttered up and down in the sky. I would go from rose to dahlia in a matter of moments and drink the sweet nectar, so much sweeter than the green leaves; like eating dessert as your main meal. And the birds were scared of my bright colours and you humans would stop and stare and my beauty.

And then, dear human, I learned that when you lay down to sleep, it is not the end, but merely a new beginning and when you wake up you can fly.


No comments:

Post a Comment