Sunday, April 22, 2012

Filling in the Cracks


I want to be the best that I can be. I want to dig in and learn all that I can learn. I’ve looked at my work recently and seen where it is weak. And thought "why would anyone want me in their writing group when I have so much to learn and so little to offer because I can’t figure this out on my own?"

Last Tuesday we were talking about memorizing stories for story tellers and when they found out I was memorizing my story word for word there was a metaphorical “no no no.” It was suggested I draw pictures of six events in the story, so I had something to picture in my head when I got lost. I also realized, just as I had memorized the story word for word, I had written the story word for word, I didn’t know anything more about the characters than what was in the story. I didn’t know where they were going where they came from. This morning I sat down with my journal and wrote about the characters and the actions of the stories from the outside; who they were, what they meant to me, I realized the importance of knowing more than just the words. Maybe this will fill in some of the cracks that I see as weak.



PS This is also how I know people for who they are when they are with me and I have trouble digging in and finding out what's going on when I'm not there...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I think that'll do the trick. Everything I've ever read says that you need to know your characters from (my interpretation) the cellular level. A friend of mine who lives in my town wrote her first novel a few years ago and it was published and quite a hit. At her book launch she spoke about how many pages the book itself is, and how many hundreds of other pages she has at home that consist of the back stories of her characters. I was pretty amazed by that.
    btw, fyi: The Crying Tree, by Naseem Rakha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note, do I ever feel closer to the characters and the story feels fuller. The crying tree is now on my reading list, it sounds great. Sorry it took so long to write back <3

    ReplyDelete