Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Mish Mash of a Review


“My friends think that since I live here in Hawaii I live in paradise” cut to a movie of breath taking scenes and a tale of betrayal that could only be told in Hawaii. The movie was full of little quirky screens like this.

Kings father in law is yelling at King about how great a wife his daughter was, and how King never bought her her own boat. Myself and all the characters began to hate this man for saying this, and as we leave him alone to be with his daughter, we see someone who loves and is hurt by the situation. The director leads, with the characters, into a hate, a beautiful scene, and then he turns it around and we see an angry hurtful man cry for the loss of his daughter.

The movie, The Descendants was good last night. It had its weak points and took a while to get everyone introduced, but by the end I was glad I had sat through it.

At the start of the movie I was held on by scenes where George Clooney does what he does best, and I fell in love with George’s acting more than the character he is playing.




Of course we want to see him run, who else runs like this. I was disappointed in the costume choices for Clooney, his cloths looked a little drab and old-manish, which fit the character, but not the finesse that Clooney brings to the screen, I felt it needed to be upped just ever so slightly to take care of not only the character, but the actor as well.

Shailene Woodley held her own as Alexandra King, looking great in everything they put her in, and holding her own as an equal to Clooney. What must the mother have been like to create two women like Alexandra and Scottie as daddy was so absent.



I love a good character actor, and Beau Bridges in the bar, drinking and sitting, stole the scene. “Just let him go Clooney, just let him go…” He was the one actor that could really take the rhythm of the speech that the director wanted deliver with great comic timing and a sense of naturalism.

From a character that rocked the movie to one I’m unclear about. The boat driver was an added character that seemed to go nowhere except to show that the daughter would say an do anything with no worries and Dad didn’t know how to control her, but damn she was cute about it and King didn’t really seem to mind emotionally, although the script told him he did.

What I really want is a sequel. I want to see King take his daughters and Sid camping, I want to see how he saves the land and how he goes back to life with the two kids how he deals with dates and love and his family after all that has happened in this movie. I left wanting more.

4 comments:

  1. I've yet to see this movie but you've whetted my appetite. I went to Hawaii for a week long conference a couple of years ago and from that brief exposure I was struck by the depth, complexity and sadness of its history and the sensitivity of the Hawaiian people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. depth, complexity and sadness... exactly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see this movie but I fear it is going to make me sad ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It actually made me angry in places. I think had there been a different leading actor, I would have been in tears, I think if I read the book I would cry, but for me, I was silent and drawn in, but not emotional. I guess it would also depend on life experience as well.

    ReplyDelete