Saturday, March 3, 2012

Capote


I started reading Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood." I'm only on page 29 and there are no doubts that it could get nasty so I don't know how far I'll get, but I love the writing style. I'm trying to be inspired by it for my story for world story tellers day although at the moment I'm blocked so I thought I'd do a blog.

BEFORE CAPOTE

I tried to live in the city, but it wasn’t me, the traveling on the busses, the tall sky scrapers all the concrete the black and white rules, it didn’t work for me and only made me sad. I packed up my bed, some cook pots and my favorite novels and came home.

The day I made it to the small town I stopped at a coffee shop, where they sold books and art pieces and went through the news paper. There was one add for a one bedroom basement apartment. I knew nothing about the couple who lived upstairs; I called them and moved In that night.


AFTER CAPOTE

The village of Sunborne lies between two towns that no one has ever heard of. They’re not on maps, politicians don’t visit and tourists aren’t interested in the inland trees and lack of recreation. The towns have what they need and nothing more. When you pass the sign on the side of the road that says “Welcome to Sunborne,” the trees turn greener and thicker, the air coming in the open car window it cleaner and crisper. Your body forgets the tension that has been building up after years of being in the city.

Sunborne is a secret no one speaks about it, no one talks about it. I heard about it one afternoon at the front desk of the second hand bookstore I worked at. When I asked for his address he said “I’m from Sunborne and that’s all you need to know, here’s my phone number you can call me.”

I smiled and told him I had never heard of Sunborne and said “I’ve lived there all my life, now with my wife of thirty years, now I have to be off.” When he talked to me the words seemed to join together like songs and yet I had to ask him to repeat everything he said twice because I couldn’t understand it the first time round. His commands and orders started deep in his diaphragm and exited his forehead like and opera singer.


1 comment:

  1. I know nothing about Sherlock on the BBC, but you made me curious.

    Admiring you for reading Capote to stretch your own writing. I'm going to Google world story tellers' day and see what it is all about.

    You seem to be in a really creative time....that is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete