Friday, July 8, 2011

Universal vs Personal


SACHAL VASANDANI mentions the searching for the universal truth vs his personal truth. As a child I didn’t fit in. I am a consumer of self help books and this universal truth. I always thought this would draw people to me, they would think “she’s doing it, she understands, this is what we’re all going for.”

I also scoff at fitting in so I shouldn’t sell myself short, I have a lot of personal truth, but I’m frightened of it, afraid that if I’m different I’ll be wrong. I’ll regret it. I worry I’ll get to a place and realize, everyone said to do this and I went my own way, now look at the mess I'm in.

This week, I made some decisions that were my own, I was the one who had to make them, I talked to my friends, but in the end it was my decision. I realized my truth about relationships and what I do on my own time are a personal truth. I have to look within me, not a pop song or a romance movie.

2 comments:

  1. There is a short poem by Yeats that I have always liked which I have decided grows more true as I age.

    The Coming Of Wisdom With Time by William Butler Yeats

    Though leaves are many, the root is one;
    Through all the lying days of my youth
    I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun;
    Now I may wither into the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reintroduction to Yeats, it's better when it's not crammed in a 2000 page textbook!!!!

    ReplyDelete