Thursday, April 14, 2011

Insight


Imagine, if you will, what it would feel like to have each of your natural faculties systematically peeled away from your consciousness. First, imagine you lose your ability to make sense of sound coming in through your ears. You are not deaf, you simply hear all sound as chaos and noise. Second, remove your ability to see the defined forms of any objects in your space. You are not blind, you simply cannot see three dimensionally, or identify color. You have no ability to track an object in motion or distinguish clear boundaries between objects. In addition, common smells become so amplified that they overwhelm you, making it difficult for you to catch your breath.
Jill Bolte Taylor Ph.D My Stroke of Insight.

I read the whole book in two sittings, this after starting and not finishing at least 7 other books. This paragraph was the only one I highlighted.

4 comments:

  1. Having had a stroke I can say that it is not a pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notced she left all the tough stuff out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things I never knew. Wow! Is it I that sees only two dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a great description of how her brain stopped thinking linearly (If I understand correctly,) the way we understand time etc is inside us, not outside.

    ReplyDelete