Saturday, December 4, 2010

See You Later


I ran a around a farm taking pictures from 9 until 11:00. I then proceeded to run around the neighbouring town, also with the camera in hand and came home at 2:00 where I crashed on the couch. Feeling tired I made a list of all the things I needed to do. My friend left me a note on Facebook and asked if it was me she saw out jogging. As I was answering her (no it wasn't)it then dawned on me that I was exhausted. Most of the list is waiting until tomorrow. I did get some Christmas wrapping done, well, until the paper ran out.

His status on Facebook said “See you later Jean.” It’s been ten years since I’ve seen this person, ten years since I’d seen Jean. She directed Arcadia at university and I was assistant stage manager. When I need a good memory of University, after friends, comes the production of Arcadia. It moved beyond the politics (sure it was there) and productions near the end left me crying at the mercy of history professors or waiting in the wings trying to shut them out, I embrace the memories of Arcadia and how well it worked.

Jean died yesterday of a blood cancer.

For a moment there was a flash, that some time in the future in heaven or future lives or whatever, but somewhere in the future we would all be together again, maybe putting together rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead, heading over to a house where most of the theatre department could be found; drinking, reading monologues and debating the lighting techniques of Casablanca into the night.

I started reading a crappy story; I knew it was crappy when I picked it out at a library sale over the summer. This whole thing reminds me of how important it is to find a well written piece. How important it is to talk about it, and to make it come alive. I want to read something that can breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment