Tuesday, November 16, 2010

time and space


Some of the people around me don’t read a lot.

I’ve been struggling since All the Pretty Horses to find something that grabs me. Nothing has. There are a lot of books I want to read.

I sat down with a book about writing poetry. Creating Poetry by John Drury. I told them at the bookstore that I wanted something about writing poetry. Bird by Bird was suggested. I have Bird By Bird. I wanted to look back at the inns and outs of poetry, more mechanics. At the bookstore the owners went through the Writer’s Digest catalogue until we found this book. I’m interested in it; it’s what I’m supposed to read right now.

I have a bookshelf full of books to read. When that book and I match up in time and space, I will read it. That is why, when people ask me how many of them I’ve read I say half. I’ve read half; that half I want to hold on to . The other half are there for when I’m ready; when I feel it, when we connect.

5 comments:

  1. I always like reading books by any of the Bronte sisters. Jane Eyre has to be my favorite, but I'm guessing you've already read that :P Nice picture!

    http://www.seren-dip-a-tea.blogspot.com/ Please follow me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in love with jane eyre. I read it last year, so I'll read the rest soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure that you will be able to find it but "The Poet's Manual and Rhyming Dictionary," by Frances Stillman contains an explanation the theory of rhyme and meter, followed by discourse on traditional and modern poetic forms, and has many examples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have to take a look at the blue bird of happiness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laoch, wrote it down.

    OSB, wrote yours down too.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete