Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Metaphor Maybe



I will often start reading a book one weekend, not finishing it, and starting another one a few days later. 2 weeks ago I started reading Gandhi’s autobiography and became extremely connected to it. It brought forward contrasting pieces of my childhood and made me think about who I am and who I was. I was sure that I would spend every spare moment I had reading that book. While I was reading it I couldn’t figure out how I was going to function knowing that book was there waiting for me. But then, there was another project which needed another book.

Like Gandhi’s there are a few books that I have started and need to go back to. I usually remember reading them and realize that this is the time to consider them again. I hated Atonement the first time I started to read it and a year later it became one of my favorites. When I go back to them, they’re still there, even if there was a long span of time from the last time I turned the pages until now.

I also know that through all the craziness, it’s often nice to take a chunk of time in your week and set it aside for an old book. Something like The Hobbit or Jane Eyre; I like to choose my favorite part and just focus on that and nothing else. I see how I’ve changed since the last time I’ve read it. I know how wonderful a good book, like good friend, can make you feel.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you notice any changes in yourself from your last readings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all about changes, and challenges. Coming back after a long times away, putting a good book down, knowing you'll meet up in the future.

    ReplyDelete