Wednesday, September 8, 2010

All the Pretty Words

When I was young I had a dream, I followed it to university. I wanted to be an actor, a writer, and people led me to believe I had the talent the drive and the determination to do it. When in university, I realized that what was going on wasn’t for me. There were other things I had to deal with, other things I wanted to feel. I knew then that I would find my way back to it. That was 14 years ago. Today I’m a very different person. When I explain to people, that I was bar staff, or that I would run around the city in my bare feet, they can’t imagine the me that I was. But even when I’m taking calls at 9:00 at night, even when I’m answering the 60th e-mail of the day; or the first e-mail of the day there’s always a part of me that has a dream.

I am always in love with something, sometimes it’s the size of the last ember on a match, sometimes is the whole fire hot and dangerous. Sometimes I guess I just need to take the day and find that ember and burn it like a flame again. Usually I keep it to myself, it’s a dinner I'm making, an idea I wish I had the power to write about, a piece of music and so on. Today it was a book and some tv that brought me back.

I finished All the Pretty Horses, and pulled out a line I liked.

“He stood at the window of the empty café and watched the activities in the square and he said that it was good that god kept the truths of life from the young as they were starting out or else they’d have no heart to start at all.” -All the Pretty Horses Cormac McCarthy.


Really there are a couple sentence rules broken there, more than one “and,” a few ideas that could be broken up, oh yes, and quotes on the speech (if you’ve read CM you know they don’t exist). But you’ve got an empty café, and a young couple getting married across the street and the idea that if they knew what this 16 year old cowboy knew about life and love, they’d not have the heart to keep going.

I watched another episode of Firefly, I’m on disk two. Domer and Redman decided I needed to see it, but I couldn’t borrow Domer’s copy because I don’t have blue ray. So Super K “offered” his copy even though he hasn’t watched in yet. I’ve set my hawk eyes on those disks, to make sure nothing happens to them, and I’m the only one here.

I’ve been pulling quotes, and today I pulled a quote where four people speak, and saw how all the other scenes were broken down into little groups. I’ve been searching for the formulas to things for a while, but the way I was sick I couldn’t see or understand things like this. I got it today.

The quote is not deep, it’s fun, it sets up a joke. It’s a breath of fresh air after these past few days. How can I take these two examples I found today and my own rules in my own writing?

Jayne: What we need's a diversion. I say Zoë gets nekked.
Wash: Nope.
Jayne: I could get nekked.
Wash, Dr. Simon Tam: No!

I've always loved "one liners" and punch lines when they're done right.

That’s two things that popped out at me today. I don’t know if I explained it right. But I understand what I see.

1 comment: